Friday, May 8

nipa hut



Everytime I see a nipa hut (nipa is a kind of palm tree and its fronds are harvested to be made into roofing material), it makes me a bit nostalgic. Rural folks spend late afternoons in the nipa huts just like this...mainly because its shade is cool and it's where friends meet. After the hard work during the day, rural folks unwind here..alone or friends and neighbors. Here, they play chess, sungka, dama, tong-its and chiki-cha (card game). Or they drink tuba (fermented coconut sap). Or they just sit here, telling stories, listening and laughing at old jokes.

9 comments:

GiGi said...

Beautiful sketch. I like the explanation of the nipa hut - what a neat way to relax!

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Sounds beautiful, the hut, great sketch.

Jogels said...

hello dean dean! i agree about the nostalgic feeling we get when seeing a nipa hut.. missed the pronvince and the mountains will be in the philippines this august wish i could drop by tagbilaran hehehehe! see yah see yah around

pawan said...

Well!!
Nice sketch and a nice explanation!!

Btw your blog's layout is super cool!!

Cheers!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful!

Inday said...

You bring me back to the remotest barrio, we once lived. The nostalgia can be overwhelming for me who have been away for so long a time.

You are a gifted artist. I love the nipa hut for community social gathering. In our days, there even was serenading as "karaoke" was not an IN thing yet. Just the guitara and the singing townsfolk.

I have this blog linked to my Australia:Quadrat in FocusAlso please check this out

My Blog Comment

bluedreamer27 said...

yup i agree with them
i like the sketch
its nice to be here in your blog

hope you could visit me too
www.bluedreamer27.blogspot.com

yhave a great day and happy mothers day

Char said...

gorgeous drawing

eeblog said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.